Friday, October 17, 2014

Nursing & Pumping Essentials for New Moms



I always knew I wanted to nurse my children. It sounded like such an easy thing to say. Nursing is all that everyone said it would be, and more. There was a time in the beginning when I struggled and almost gave up, however. I am so happy that I stuck with it and get to experience the beauty of nursing. At 6 weeks I started the task of pumping while I went back to work part time. Any breast milk you give your child is a gift. It doesn't matter if you nurse one time or one year, it is a gift.


Breastfeeding Essentials
Boppy
These things are great. I brought mine to the hospital when I went into labor and I am so glad I did. It got so much use in the two days in the hospital that I knew the Boppy and I were going to be great friends. It has a cut out so the pillow goes around your body, allowing the newborn to lay straight across you. It is also thicker than a normal pillow to hold the baby up higher to your breast. I now use it to prop Aubrey up and for tummy time. The fact that it has multiple uses makes it a great buy.

Lanolin
Please, I urge you to not try nursing for the first time without this. Buy it before you go into labor. Make sure you have it with you at the hospital and at home. The hospital provided me with a different brand that does not even compare to this one. This was crucial in me surviving my first two weeks of nursing. You can use it before nursing, right after nursing or even put it on before you get in the shower so the water doesn't sting. A MUST HAVE!


Nursing Pads
For some reason I didn't think I was going to need these. I was wrong, so wrong. I didn't register for them like I read I should. Luckily, I had a ton of samples that I saved during pregnancy. If you plan on nursing for a while, make sure to get a box.

Formula Samples
You will most likely receive formulas samples in the mail or at the doctors while you are pregnant. I recommend saving them. It may not sound like it, but there may be a time when you just can't bring yourself to nurse. You'll want these as reassurance that baby will having something to eat even if you just can't do it that time. I was so glad I had these in the other room for emergency use. I was so lucky to have my husband cheer me on at the hardest parts, and I ended up not needing mine. I gave them to another new mom who was using formula, but they were worth holding onto for a bit!




Pumping Essentials
Breast Pump
I love love love my Medela Pump In Style Advanced Dual  Pump. I dreaded pumping and I waited until the day before I was going back to work to figure it out. It was so easy to set up and it works like a charm. Check with your health insurance about getting one at no cost after delivery! 
Hands Free Pumping Bra
I don't know why they don't supply these with all dual pumps. I'm not even sure dual pumping is possible without one. With that said, I love the Lansinoh Best Wishes hands free pumping bra. I bought mine at Target in a light pink color. They are one size and you can constantly adjust they sizing if you need to.
Enjoy your journey into motherhood and breastfeeding. There are so many products available to make things easier on nursing mothers! 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment